|Hospice New Zealand |
Our commitment to being a great New Zealand company includes a commitment to the communities within which our people live and work.
With great excitement and passion, House of Travel formed a partnership with Hospice New Zealand in October 2005. All our HOT outlets throughout New Zealand ‘adopted’ their local hospice and assist them in raising funds and educating people about the great work hospice does.
At House of Travel we give our 1,000+ staff a day’s paid leave to work in, or for their local hospice. House of Travel staff get to learn and understand the great work hospices do throughout the country, and act as advocates on their behalf.
House of Travel’s network of customers and their staff (who all have families), provide a fantastic base of people who can educate about the services hospice provide, and to raise money for their local hospice.
To find out ways that you can get involved with House of Travel to help Hospice New Zealand, please talk to your local House of Travel.
About Hospice New Zealand
• Hospice or palliative care is for people whose illness is incurable. Care enables them to achieve the best possible quality of life during the final stages of their illness, and includes family support and bereavement services.
• Care can be provided in hospice inpatient units, hospital hospice wards or in a person's home or place of residence in the community.
• Services may include inpatient and community care, bereavement care, counseling and spiritual care, day-stay care, respite care, equipment hire and some provide education and research.
• Hospices are for all terminally ill people in need, irrespective of their religion, race, age or ability to pay.
• Hospice or palliative care is free of charge to patients and their families - the cost of care is covered by a contribution from Government through the Ministry of Health, with the remainder raised from the community through fundraising activities.
Facts about Hospice New Zealand
• In 2008, more than 13,000 people received care and support from hospices around the country.
• Over 7000 volunteers gave more than 450,000 hours of their time to work in hospices throughout the country. That figure does not count the huge amounts of time that people dedicated to fundraising!
• During 2008 there were more than 4800 admissions to inpatient facilities – an increase of 5% from 2007. Funding for this vital care is crucial to ensure that it remains free of charge for those who need it.
How can you help Hospice New Zealand?
• Through a donation or bequest.
• Offering practical help as a volunteer.
• Spreading awareness of what hospice does by telling your friends, family and colleagues.
• Taking part in your local hospice fundraising efforts by contacting hospice or finding out what your local House of Travel is doing.
• Supporting local hospice charity shops.
Buy a t-shirt and support hospice!
Get your own hospice tee and $10 from each tee sold goes to the hospice of your choice. The tees and polos come in two designs – ‘Kowhai’ and ‘Life’ and were created by the HOT design team. Help create awareness of the great work hospices does by wearing a hospice tee! Order your t-shirt now
Support your local hospice with your own “Time to Remember” event.
It’s really simple and is about enjoying the company of friends and family, while raising money for hospice. Just get a group together, register with hospice and start organising. It could be a bbq, picnic, brunch, formal dinner, cocktail evening……….the possibilities are endless. Send out the invites and the idea is for all guests to make a donation to hospice – Simple!
Hospice will help you with planning and will provide a range of resources, invitations, donation forms, planning checklist, hospice information sheets as well as recipes from hospice ambassador Jo Seagar.
By having a great time you will help ensure hospice care and support remains totally free of charge for anyone with a terminal illness. Click here to register your interest
Remember those no longer with you this Christmas….
Buy a Remembrance Tree Ornament by clicking here and visiting Mercy Hospice Add your absent family member or friend’s name to the display name box and that bauble will appear immediately, complete with name, on our Mercy Hospice Online Remembrance Tree.
Send the page link to your friends and family, so they too can share the memory and even hang their own.
Every bauble sold helps raise valuable funds for Mercy Hospice Auckland
For more information, visit www.hospice.org.nz or call 04 381 0266.